Friday September 20 2019



In Full . . .

How to get urgent medical treatment

Posted on June 30 2013 at 11:43:44

Mary Green explains how to contact medical services out of hours – for patients of Alvechurch Medical Practice.

Many local people have been confused by the new arrangements for people needing urgent medical treatment. In particular, it is hard to know who to contact when you need urgent treatment or advice, but it is not the kind of emergency which requires an ambulance or A&E department. 

The new number (111), which is being used in some part of the region, has added to the confusion, and hospitals are worried that too many people are coming to A&E unnecessarily.

Alvechurch Medical Centre has given the following advice to any of their patients needing help out of hours. People who use other surgeries are advised to ask them for the best procedure.

This part of Worcestershire is not using the new 111 service, so do not call this at present. Instead you can call the normal surgery number, 0121 445 1084: if they are closed the answer phone will give you the number of the Out of Hours provider.

Alternatively, out of surgery hours you can phone the Out of Hours provider directly on 0845 113 0004.

If you only need advice you can still call the NHS direct number 0845 4647, or visit their website: 


You can also use a GP-led walk-in centre based at:
Selly Oak Health Centre, 15 Katie Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 6JG
Tel: 0121 415 2095

The centre is open from 8am to 8pm seven days a week including bank holidays.

The new systems are rather complicated, and differ from place to place and surgery to surgery. This advice only applies to patients of the Alvechurch Medical Practice.

The situation is further complicated by Alvechurch being part of a joint practice with Northwood in King’s Norton, which is part of Birmingham and is therefore using the 111 system.

The practice now has a Patients Participation Group which aims to improve the service to patients. Contact the practice for more information, or visit their website:

Return to Front Page