topcombo

Thursday February 27 2020

thevillage


thesquare

In Full . . .

Bridge row a ‘turning point’

Posted on November 03 2010 at 12:55:48

Further to your article in The Village October 2010 headlined The mystery of canal bridge 63, a report on structures carried out by members of the Worcester & Birmingham Canal Society in 1983/4 can add a little more to the story.

Bridge 63 was known as Callow Hill Bridge and was made “redundant” (British Waterways term) with the demise of Callow Hill farm when it became building land. An unsuccessful bid was made to the Department of the Environment by the W&BCS for its preservation.

A picture too poor to reproduce was taken on May 24 1984 showing the site minus bridge.

The demolition, however, aroused so much interest and controversy at the time, that the official attitude towards all of our waterways has slowly changed since then. Unfortunately there is always a downside and lack of finance has replaced attitude as the main problem at the moment.

B Morris  
Worcester Birmingham & Droitwich Canal Society

 
The Editor writes: We now have the names of the three Alvechurch lads on the 1950 picture with the bridge still in place in the background. They were, from left: Ted Willmott, who rose to be a Major General and now, aged 75, lives near Bromyard; Bill Gibbs, who lived in Withybed Lane, Alvechurch, but has now died; and Jim Smith who now has a narrowboat moored a little further down the towpath at Scarfield Wharf.

Alvechurch lads Ted Willmott, Bill Gibbs and Jim Smith near the bridge in 1950


Return to Front Page

Monthly Archive